Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our Little One Year Old




I feel like I have slacked lately on posting about Owen. After all this is a family journal and I have loved being able to write all about Owen ALL the time.

It is so crazy that I have a ONE year old...a toddler really. Yup, Owen is officially a toddler. He is into EVERYTHING, babbles ALL THE TIME (even when he's putting himself to sleep), is a little curious George, and is now trying to communicate WITH me (instead of to me). He's not walking quite yet...he's toddling; he took his first steps on his birthday, which I was so excited I almost cried! Yes, cried! But since then he will just take 4 or 5 steps very clumsily before falling to the floor SO SO excited with a huge grin on his face because he knows he's a big boy and accomplished something BIG. I love this boy. His personality cracks us up everyday. He laughs at EVERYTHING. Seriously, everything. He thinks it funny when people sneeze, blow their nose, cough excessively, fart, burp, or make weird noises with their mouth...or any other body part for that matter. He laughs at himself when he falls down (must be a Tidwell or something) and thinks that suitcases falling out onto the baggage claim is the funniest thing in the world. Yes he laughed FOREVER when we were waiting in Burbank to claim our bags as he watched all of them tumble down. He got an audience for that one.

Owen is so smart and I'm not just saying it because I'm his mother. He understands way more than he can keep up with. I love how he points to things now to tell me he needs them or for me to name and he immediately tries to say the word. He can say quite a few words now (in his own little way) like: baby, mama, daddy, doggy, "o" for soft, ducky, thank you, ball. He loves playing with Ellie his stuffed elephant and he loves to snuggle with just about anything; especially me and Tyson (which we love!). He is definitely in the mimicking phase and loves to copy any sounds we make...which can be very entertaining.

Owen's on a great schedule right now and continues to become a better sleeper as he's gotten older. He takes two hour and a half naps/day, nurses 4 times/day, goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up around 7 or 7:30. Today he actually didn't wake up until 8:30! He falls asleep on his own while playing with his ear, cuddling Ellie and an old shirt of mine. I am so happy he is FINALLY attaching himself to something, which would be Ellie. It's great for him to have something else besides mommy or daddy to cling to and to help soothe himself. He's never been into a binky so this is great! Owen continues to try new foods and loves them...but only for a day or two or week and then he wants something completely different. I am constantly racking my brain for new food ideas. Anyone got any??

Owen has 8 teeth with 3 coming in at the moment. He is really good at chewing things which doesn't make me worry as much. But he is also really good at playing in the toilet ALL the time. I think a toilet lock is in our near future! As for nursing...I am still in love with it but am starting to want my body back completely. :) Owen continues to cuddle with me as he nurses by holding my hand or putting his arm around me. I LOVE this part and this is what will make me so sad when he's done. The weaning will be starting soon I'm sure. I'm going to wait a few more weeks as he becomes a better walker and hopefully less interested in nursing, because right now he is seriously OBSESSED. When it's time to nurse he flaps his arms, claps his hands and giggles. Crazy boy!

We love you baby boy and are so grateful to have you in our family!
We love you to the moon and back.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love the update on Owen, he is such a darling boy! I can't believe he has eight teeth! Fun.

I think our kids eat the same foods but have you tried beans? My kids love beans; white, black, pinto, etc. Today they had little "soft" tostadas; corn tortilla warmed, mashed black beans topped with cheese, avocado and a drizzle of ranch. Max wasn't a fan of the corn tortilla so I will do wheat flour ones next time. Like you I get tired of what they eat and stumped occasionally too. Have you hit the site weelicious.com yet?

The Coccimiglios said...

oh i love that boy. one day well have to visit in Az because it is a lot cooler than utah. oh yeah, tell own to stop getting so big

Blog Archive