Today we started preschool together, just Owen and I. It was tons of fun and I really loved our time together. It made me happy that he was just as excited for preschool with just me as he was last year with his friends. It went well too. We completed everything on the schedule and made some great progress already.
Here's what we did:
Opening
Circle time with songs and movement - 5 minutes
Warm
up/ Review - 15 minutes
Number of the week (what
does it look like, show it, count it)
Letters and word of the
week (what does it look like, say it, write it in the air)
Color and Shape of the
week (picture, say it and make it in the air)
Story Time – 5-10
minutes (include comprehension)
Letter or Story
Activity/Craft - 20 minutes
*I traced Owen on butcher paper and then he chose one of his most favorite friends to make. He chose her outfit and we both colored her in. He thought this was great.
We hung her on the wall to take a picture with him, per his request. He chose his special friend Kylie from Arizona. :) The pink mark on her cheek is a "kiss" from Owen. Too cute!
Handwriting -
5-10 minutes
Activity + Written text
in handwriting book
Game – 10 minutes
A review of what’s
learned that day (also use as an assessment)
Owen searched for the word "and" in a few large text books. Afterwards we played "Memory" just for the fun of it.
Closing
Circle time with a season or holiday appropriate book - 5 minutes
*I chose this book because it's about friendship just like our first one. I try to stay within the same type of subject or theme.
He loved it all. And I sure love my cute preschooler!
I will be posting more details about our schedule and why I do it the way I do. I will also include links to the resources I used (teachers know to always reuse!) as well as other ways to adapt this schedule to meet the needs of your preschooler. I like to keep it simple and REAL. As a mom I don't have as much time as I'd like to create elaborate activities or lessons. So my lessons and activities are relevant, not showy. They meet Owen's needs while making him happy and helping him learn.
I'm going to try to post all our preschool fun here on this blog, so follow along if you'd like!






3 comments:
I wish you were Lyla's teacher!!!!
You are awesome Julie. Such a wonderful mother and teacher, your boys are so lucky to have you. :)
This is great! I will definitely be saving this for when I have kids but will pass along to my mom friends in the mean time. I can't wait to see what else you do!
Post a Comment