Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Busy Week and All About Owen

This week has been sooooo hectic. We have been packing and organizing and staining our newly built dining room table (courtesy of Tyson) and I have been planning a baby shower. This Saturday we leave for Phoenix and then California for 3 months total! It's a bit overwhelming packing for 3 whole months! Needless to say our preschool will only be 2 days this week. Here's what we did yesterday:

ALL ABOUT OWEN

I decided to have our day planned with activities and games and excursions that make Owen the happiest. I didn't really plan this ahead of time. With everything going on I didn't have much time to plan anything. But when I came across one of our favorite books called "Owen" I thought of how fun it would be to read this story and then proceed to do everything Owen loves to do.

Owen chose the songs he wanted to sing in the beginning. He chose a primary song and we sang it multiple times. :)

We then began our time with our usual bulletin board routine.



I have kept the words we have been learning on our board from previous weeks as well because they are a challenge and the more Owen sees and reads them the better reader he'll become. 

The letter of the day was "O" of course, for Owen.

Next we read "Owen" by Kevin Henkes. He writes many books that begin with a name and you may just find one that has the same name as your child!

Onto handwriting! Owen is pretty good at writing his O's. He's had a bit of practice with them.

I've taught Owen to "lay the marker, pencil, or pen back in it's bed" to remind him how to properly hold a writing utensil. This is very important for his handwriting success.

I gave Owen a few options for our activity.

They all revolved around making his name. His choices included making his name with glitter (he's OBSESSED with glitter these days), making it with shaving cream on our table (I was SHOCKED when he didn't choose this one!) or writing it on a white board. He chose the last one.

Before letting him have at it, he practiced spelling his name using milk bottle caps. His name is written on an index card that's taped to a small baggy (where I keep the bottle caps) to help him spell his name. This is a great hands-on activity that's easy and cheap, yet very effective. 

(Yes he did write this on his own. He's pretty meticulous when it comes to writing his name!)

For our "game" time we played with play dough. Both the boys can play with play dough for at least 20-30 minutes straight. This is one of Owen's favorite things to do ever which is exactly why we did it!

Owen and I built the word of the week (said) as well as his name. It was fun to play together.



Just the other day we had ventured out to the Aquarium and Owen was in Heaven. The kid loves underwater sea life! 


We reflected on our experience at the Aquarium and then I decided we should do another one of Owen's favorite things: look up sea life pictures online. He was so happy! We spent some time studying the pictures and talking about them. Our time got cut short otherwise I would have had him create one of his favorite sea animals. I figure we can do that another time. Eric Carle has a few great books about sea life that I'll have to highlight in the coming weeks of preschool.

Our day ended with freeze dance (another choice of Owen's) instead of our usual story time.

All and all it was a fun day with much learning going on and a very very happy little boy.

No comments:

Blog Archive