Saturday, March 7, 2009

A 7 Year Old Adult

This week has been SO hectic. I have been working really hard on my master's capstone project which is pretty much equivalent to a thesis project. So I've been pretty tired and busy to say the least. But of course, without fail, my students continue to make me laugh and lighten up my day.

Sam is one of my students that just might have an adult spirit inside of him. He is very perceptive and "wise" beyond his years.:) On Thursday, he stayed in for recess because he "wasn't feeling well." After running around the school, I hurried back into my classroom to get ready for the students to come back in from recess. At my desk I gave a loud sigh (I completely forgot that Sam was in the room). Sam then says (with his back to me because he was at the math center) "Rough day?" Caught off guard I reply "Um, no..just tired." Then he turns around to face me and says, "Tough days are hard. I hate it when I have a hard day. Do you want to talk about it?" I continue to tell him that I was just tired. He then goes on to say "I'm never tired." I was thinking yeah I know that's why I'm always tired...

That was one conversation we had that day but then we had another encounter during lunch recess when he looks into our "dull" pencil cup to find many pencils that are really not dull. He goes on to say, "Mrs. Tidwell! There are so many pencils in here that are not dull! Ugh, people just put them in here because they ripped off their eraser or bit it off and now they need a new eraser. Oh and I know it's the boys ripping off erasers because girls are more respectful than boys. Man, why do they have to put them in the dull when they're really not dull!" I was thinking this whole time "man he really knows how I feel." Then I say "I know how you feel Sam." Then he says "Teaching is a hard job." I say, "Yes it is but it's the best job ever." He then says "Yeah you really get to see a lot of faces each day." And then he walked away...Pretty deep I might add.

So it was a pretty funny afternoon with Sam and it was probably a lot funnier having been there but I have decided that I need to write these things down so I can remember all of the many, many times my students make me laugh throughout the day. 7 year olds are great. :)

5 comments:

Melody's Voice said...

What a cute story! It is crazy how in tune kids are sometimes, but it is moments like that which keep us doing what we are doing sometimes, right? Good luck with your masters!

Angie Gray said...

That's so funny! But I have to wonder, what ARE you supposed to do with your pencil once you lose the eraser?

kirk n stacy said...

You are a beautiful person inside and out! Your students are blessed to have you. Miss your radiant smile around SCV...hope to bump into you soon sometime, maybe when I see Tiff.

Shari said...

Oh Mrs. Tidwell I wish Madi could have you for a teacher!!! That first grade age is so fun and they are so cute and do say the funniest things:) Love you Julie!!!!
PS Tell your mom hi for me!

Lynda said...

I wish I had written every thing down over the years because it would have made a great book. Once I told my class to remember finger spaces and I got a child's paper back with a little finger drawn between each word. It was hilarious and I could have put it in my book! :)