Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Owen's Ear Tube Surgery

This is long overdue. Owen had his ear tube surgery a week ago today. He had been suffering from ear infections and the doc said enough was enough. Thank goodness because 10 ear infections in just 6 months is just too much for a small little guy...or anyone. So we headed to the ENT for a consultation and the doctor said he definitely had lots of fluid behind his ears and that he wasn't even hearing as well as he should be. No wonder he doesn't listen to me! haha jk. He also told us that Owen feels pressure in his ears like you do on an airplane, but ALL the time. Poor little guy. Final verdict: he wanted his surgery asap so we got in the very next week.

Owen was a champ....a grumpy champ, but a good one. We had to wake him up 2 hours earlier than usual to get to the surgery office by 6:15am. He was kind of grumpy about that. He didn't want to wait in the waiting room while Tyson filled out paper work so we went on a little walk outside until they called us back. We were in the prep room when he also decided that waiting was above him and started to get real fussy. But I kind of don't blame him. Doctor's offices are scary and not eating or drinking all morning would make me fussy too. When the nurse was ready to take him back, that was when the real tears came. This was the hardest part for me too. I really wanted to hold him while they put him under but the nurse had to take him. So he left us crying pretty hard, which left me on the verge of tears too. Which left Tyson to say "it's okay you'll see him in like 20 minutes." I know I'm a sap.

And it really was only 20 minutes when we were able to go back to the recovery room to a very upset little boy. We knew that the anesthetic could cause him to wake up grumpy so we were prepared. We left and that was that. It was definitely the easiest procedure but such an effective one. Owen now listens to every word I say....alright not really. But he isn't in any pain anymore and hopefully now he can finally gain some weight without ear infections being in his way. The recovery was easy...just a few nights of waking up and now we're back to normal.

We are so excited to be past this and that most importantly our baby boy won't have to deal with them (hopefully) ever again.

8 comments:

Shanna said...

I'm so glad it went well and that Owen (and you)won't suffer any more from ear infections!

from head 2 toe said...

So glad it went well- what a relief to Mom and Dad as well! Glad to hear (ha ha) that he will be feeling better!
xoxo

Heather said...

Oh that would be so hard to hand over your crying babe. Good job Julie! And hooray for no more (fingers crossed!!) ear infections. I am glad the recovery went well and that all is back to normal.

Mr. Haycock, Sir said...

Julie, I remember when my little Caddy had tubes put in her ears. It's scary for a parent to have their little one taken into surgery. Owen sure is darling and I love to read your stories about him. Hope you guys are doing well and that Tyson is studying hard. We need a doc in the family. Take care.

Kate and Derek said...

oh i'm so glad to hear that it went well. I was worried about you...and of course the little man. He is so brave! Here's to NO MORE EAR INFECTIONS!!!

Jodie said...

Julie! It is such an easy surgery right? Best thing we ever did! Our little guys now sleeps through the night! Love it! I am so glad that everything went well! Glad that Owen is feeling better as well! That is the most important part!

w and w said...

I'm sure it was well worth it. Miss you guys so much. Love checkin out your other blog. Too cute.

Oblad girl said...

Man- I work in an ENT department at a medical university, with doctors who do this type of stuff. That's a lot of ear infections- I hope it works and things start getting better!